Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Degree Apprenticeship BSc (Hons) Laboratory Science Laboratory Scientist

Information for employers

Strengthen and develop the technical and scientific skills of your existing talent and attract promising new recruits with our Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship; a cost-effective way to grow and retain applied bioscience talent.

A female lab scientist stands in a lab setting with white lab coat and glasses looking at the camera

Developing the Lab Scientists of the future

Designed with employers, our Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship balances theory with practical, real-time learning in the workplace. Apprentices develop the core skills, specialist knowledge and occupational behaviours to achieve a high level of technical proficiency and make a real impact within your organisation. 

Who is this apprenticeship for?

This apprenticeship is ideal for anyone currently working as a laboratory scientist who is looking to enhance their academic knowledge and career prospects with a degree level qualification. The programme is also ideal for those aspiring to work as a laboratory scientist or looking to change their career path and use their passion for applied bioscience to deliver scientific value and propose innovative scientific ideas.

The apprenticeship will develop talent for roles including Research & Development Scientist, Molecular Biologist, Formulation Scientist and Process Scientist.

You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or develop your existing staff.

Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Degree apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of the apprenticeship or receive funding support from the government.

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account.

The cost of the Laboratory Scientist programme for levy paying employers is £27,000 and this can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%.

If you are an SME, not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the of the Laboratory Scientist programme for non-levy paying employers is just £1,350.

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Tim of Minerva Analytics sitting on a sofa


"Apprenticeships are extremely beneficial to our business as we have access to good quality, in-depth training that is targeted to our staff’s development and our business needs."


IT Director, Minerva Analytics Ltd

Delivered by experts, blending online and face-to-face learning

The Laboratory Scientist Degree Apprenticeship is delivered over four years.

20% of their learning will be classed as ‘off the job’, which means that they'll be learning during normal working hours either in their place of work or outside – but not part of their normal working duties.

There are two delivery options available for the off-the-job learning:

The ‘blended’ delivery option combines online learning, with a series of short face-to-face residentials on our Cambridge campus.

This blend of online and face-to-face learning fosters a collaborative and supportive programme, augmented by online discussions, student blogs and critical reflection and analysis under the guidance of experienced tutors. The on-campus workshops will include tutorials, practical sessions, and lectures.

Day release
The ‘day release’ option is delivered through term time day release with apprentices attending one-day face-to-face workshops on our Cambridge campus every week.

What are the entry requirements? 

As an employer your business sets out the person specifications for the role, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto the course. You can see the full entry requirements on our apprentice course page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.