Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Masters Degree Apprenticeship MSc Advanced Practice (Clinical) Advanced Clinical Practitioner

Information for employers

Develop your valued clinical staff and senior nurses in their specialised practice with an Advanced Clinical Practitioner Apprenticeship: a cost-effective way to develop contemporary and autonomous clinical practice in your health and social care workplace.

A woman in a nurses uniform stands on a hospital ward holding a clipboard, looking at the camera

Developing a health and social care service of the future

The Advanced Clinical Practitioner Apprenticeship is accredited by Health Education England’s Centre for Advancing Practice and is designed to ensure that the curriculum balances theory with practical, real-time learning in the workplace. Apprentices will develop the knowledge and skills to work at a higher level of clinical practice across your health and social care setting. 

Who is this apprenticeship for?

The apprenticeship is designed for experienced clinicians who work in a wide range of settings including healthcare services, community or integrated healthcare and residential and community care. Apprentices must also hold current registration with one of the statutory regulators of health and care professions.


Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Degree apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of the apprenticeship, or receive funding support from the government.

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account.

The cost of the Advanced Clinical Practitioner programme for levy paying employers is £12,000 and this can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%.

If your organisation is not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the Advanced Clinical Practitioner programme for non-levy paying employers is just £600.

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Industry recognised professional accreditation

The Centre for Advancing Practice Accredited Course logo

Accredited by The Centre for Advancing Practice

This programme is accredited by the Health Educations England's Centre for Advancing Practice, meaning it meets the capabilities and standards set out in HEE's (2017) Multi-professional framework for advanced clinical practice in England and HEE's (2020) Standards for Education and Training. 

Delivered by experts, blending online and face-to-face learning

The course combines online learning and activities from sector specialists and practitioners, with a series of face-to-face workshops from our academic team. This blend of online and face-to-face learning fosters a collaborative and supportive programme, augmented by online discussions, student blogs and critical reflection and analysis under the guidance of experienced tutors. 20% of their learning will be classed as ‘off the job’, where time will be dedicated to developing the knowledge and skills needed to meet the requirements of the apprenticeship. The off-the-job learning is delivered from our Cambridge and Chelmsford campuses subject to viability. 

What are the entry requirements? 

As an employer your organisation/trust sets out the person specifications for the role, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto the course. You can view the full entry requirements on our apprentice page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.