Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Degree Apprenticeship BSc (Hons) Building Surveying / Quantity Surveying Chartered Surveyor

Information for employers

Attract new staff or develop existing employees with our RICS accredited Chartered Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship: a cost-effective way to train professionally qualified building and quantity surveyors for your organisation.

A man in a high visibility jacket, hard hat and safety goggles is outside standing with his arms folded smiling at the camera

Secure your surveying talent pipeline

The Chartered Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship was designed by employers, ensuring that the course balances business education with practical, real-time learning in the workplace. Apprentices develop a full range of knowledge, skills and behaviours to achieve Chartered Surveyor Status, bringing skills, expertise and professional practice to your organisation.

Who is this apprenticeship for?

The apprenticeship will develop talent for roles including Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Valuation Surveyor, Chartered Commercial Property Surveyor, Residential Surveyor, Chartered Project Management Surveyor, Chartered Quantity Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor.

You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or develop your existing staff. The programme has been designed for employers who have a mentor to support and guide the apprentice in their study and career progression for the duration of the apprenticeship.

Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Degree apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of the apprenticeship, or receive funding support from the government.

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account. 

The cost of the Chartered Surveyor (Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying) programme for levy paying employers is £27,000 and this can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%. 

If your organisation is not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the Quantity Surveying or Building Surveying programme for non-levy paying employers is just £1,350.

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Industry recognised professional accreditation

RICS Accredited Course Logo

RICS Accredited

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) is the world's leading professional body for qualifications and standards in land, property, infrastructure and construction. The RICS accreditation is a recognised qualification and a benchmark of professional competence.

Delivered by experts, blending online and face-to-face learning

The course is delivered over four years, plus nine months for the End Point Assessment.

At least 20% of apprentices contracted hours will be classed as ‘off the job’. This time will be dedicated to developing the knowledge and skills needed to meet the requirements of the apprenticeship, and therefore is not part of their usual work duties.

The off-the-job learning combines online learning and activities from sector specialists and practitioners, with a series of face-to-face teaching blocks from our academic team. This blend of online and face-to-face learning fosters a collaborative and supportive programme, augmented by online discussions, student blogs and critical reflection and analysis under the guidance of experienced tutors.

Apprentices will attend term-time day release sessions at our Chelmsford campus.

What are the entry requirements? 

Your organisation will have its own personal specification and will know what type of Surveyor you want to develop to the next level. However, there are minimum academic and work entry requirements for your applicants, so please look at them in detail on the apprentice quantity surveying or building surveying course pages.  

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.
Quantity Surveying - visit the apprentice course page for full course details
Building Surveying - visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.