Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Apprenticeship CertHE Site Management / BSc (Hons) Construction Management Construction Site Supervisor / Management

Information for employers

Attract new staff or develop existing employees with our Construction Management Apprenticeship pathway: a cost-effective way to train professionally qualified Construction Site Supervisors and Construction Managers for your organisation.

The pathway starts with our level 4 Construction Site Supervisor Apprenticeship, and upon successful completion, and dependent on your business needs, enables progression to our level 6 Construction Site Management Degree Apprenticeship.

A man in a hard hat and a high-vis jacket is on a construction site holding a tablet and smiling at the camera

Build your construction management talent pipeline

Develop early career talent into fully qualified Construction Site Supervisors and Managers with our Apprenticeship pathway. Designed with employers, our programme balances theory with practical, real-time learning in the workplace. Apprentices develop a full range of knowledge, skills and behaviours to take on these key roles and bring skills, expertise and professional practice to your organisation.

Who is this apprenticeship pathway for?

The Construction Site Supervisor Apprenticeship will develop talent for roles including Assistant Site Manager, Assistant Supervisor or Construction Site Supervisor and in the case of SME construction companies these roles are likely to include Site Manager or Site Supervisor. Apprentices will develop the key skills, knowledge and behaviours associated with the supervision of specialist contractors and workers on construction projects.

Upon successful completion and in-line with your business requirements, apprentices will then have the option to progress to our Construction Site Management Degree Apprenticeship and develop the full range of skills to efficiently and effectively manage construction projects. This level 6 apprenticeship will develop talent for roles including Construction Site Manager, Assistant Construction Site Manager, Site Manager, Sub Agent, Assistant Site Manager or Construction Planner.

You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or to develop your existing staff.

Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of an apprenticeship or receive funding support from the government. 

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account. 

The cost of the Construction Site Supervisor programme for levy paying employers is £9,000 and the cost for the Construction Site Management Degree Apprenticeship is £18,000. This can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%.

If your organisation is not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the of the Construction Site Supervisor programme for non-levy paying employers is just £450 and the cost for the Construction Site Management Degree Apprenticeship is just £900.

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page.  

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail. 

Delivered by experts through term-time day release

The Construction Site Supervisor Apprenticeship is delivered over two years, plus up to six months for the End Point Assessment.

The Construction Site Management Degree Apprenticeship is delivered over three years, plus up to six months for the End Point Assessment.

At least 20% of apprentices contracted hours will be classed as ‘off the job’. This time will be dedicated to developing the knowledge and skills needed to meet the requirements of the apprenticeship, and therefore is not part of their usual work duties. 

The off-the-job learning is gained through university-led learning sessions and activities, and practical learning experiences in the usual work setting.

Apprentices will attend term-time day release sessions at our Chelmsford campus or at ARU Peterborough, led by sector specialists and practitioners.

What are the entry requirements?

As an employer your business sets out the person specifications for the roles, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto a course. You can view the full entry requirements on the Construction Site Supervisor and Construction Site Management apprentice course pages.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Construction Site Supervisor - visit the apprentice course page for full course details
Construction Site Management - visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Industry recognised professional accreditation

The Chartered Institute of Building Logo

Accredited by the CIOB

These apprenticeships are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) - the world’s largest professional body for construction management and leadership. CIOB accreditation is recognised as a mark of the highest levels of competence and professionalism in the development, conservation and improvement of the built environment.

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.