Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Degree Apprenticeship BEng (Hons) Electo-mechanical Engineering Electro-mechanical Engineer

Information for employers

Strengthen and develop the mechanical and electrical engineering skills of your existing talent and attract promising new recruits with our Electro-mechanical Engineer Degree Apprenticeship; a cost-effective way to grow and retain your engineering talent and expertise.

An Electro-mechanical Engineer uses a computer to work a robotic arm

Developing your innovators of the future

Designed with employers, our Electro-mechanical Engineer Degree Apprenticeship balances theory with practical, real-time learning in the workplace. Apprentices develop the core skills, knowledge and occupational behaviors to achieve a high level of technical proficiency and make a real impact within your organisation. 

Who is this apprenticeship for?

This apprenticeship is ideal for enhancing a new or existing employee’s academic knowledge and skills, through a work-based professional degree level qualification. The programme is also ideal for those aspiring to work as an engineer or looking to change their career path to be involved with the research, design, testing, manufacturing, installation, commissioning, or servicing of exciting new products. Apprentices will apply their mechanical or electrical engineering expertise to solve real-world problems for your organisation.

This apprenticeship will develop talent for roles including Design Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Electro-mechanical Engineer, Instrument Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Mechatronics Engineer, Robotics Engineer, Systems Engineer and Test Engineer. 

You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or develop your existing staff.

Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Degree apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of the apprenticeship, or receive funding support from the government.

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account.

The cost of the Electro-mechanical Engineer programme for levy paying employers is £27,000 and this can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%.

If you are an SME, not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the of the Manufacturing Engineer programme for non-levy paying employers is just £1,350. 

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Delivered by experts, blending online and face-to-face learning

The course combines one-day face-to-face workshops, every other week on our ARU Peterborough campus, alongside academic led online learning. The on-campus workshops will include lectures, lab sessions, simulation workshops, computer-aided design, Matlab, specialist software and design workshops. This will be supported with additional online resources, such as videos, self-assessment exercises, worked examples, tutorials and online discussions. On the weeks when apprentices are not on campus, they will join a one-day online workshop. This blend of face-to-face and online learning fosters a collaborative and supportive programme, augmented by online discussions, student blogs and critical reflection and analysis under the guidance of experienced tutors.  

This training is part of their 20% ‘off the job’, which means that they'll be learning during normal working hours either in their place of work or outside – but not part of their normal working duties.

What are the entry requirements?

As an employer your business sets out the person specifications for the role, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto the course. You can view the full entry requirements on our apprentice course page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Visit the BEng (Hons) Electro-mechanical Engineer apprentice course page for full course details

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.