Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Degree Apprenticeship BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering Civil Engineer

Information for employers

Attract new staff or develop existing employees with our JBM-accredited Civil Engineer Degree Apprenticeship: a cost-effective way to train professionally qualified engineers for your organisation.

A woman in a high visibility jacket and hard hat stands with arms folder looking at the camera

Expand your Civil Engineer talent pipeline

The Civil Engineer Degree Apprenticeship was designed by employers, ensuring that the course balances business education with practical, real-time learning in the workplace. Apprentices develop a full range of knowledge, skills and behaviours to achieve Incorporated Engineer (IEng) Status bringing an elevated level of professionalism and competence to your organisation.

Who is this apprenticeship for?

This apprenticeship will develop talent for the role of Civil Engineer, growing a broad range of skills to work in areas including sustainable construction, structural integrity, geotechnics, materials, tunnelling, marine and coastal engineering, water, waste management, flood management, transportation and power. You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or develop your existing staff.

Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Degree apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of the apprenticeship, or receive funding support from the government.
If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account.

The cost of the Civil Engineer programme for levy paying employers is £27,000 and this can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%. 

If your organisation is not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the Civil Engineer programme for non-levy paying employers is just £1,350.

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page
Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Industry recognised professional accreditation

JBM Joint Board of Moderators

Accredited by the JBM

This course is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators which comprises of The Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, and the Institute of Highway Engineers and together represent some 100,000 of the world's leading professional engineers.

Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) logo

EPA aligned with ICE

This programme's End Point Assessment is aligned with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) Professional Review for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status (the last step on the journey of professional recognition before achieving ‘Chartered’ status).

ICE is the professional membership body that supports and promotes the professional standards of civil engineers across the industry and represents the interest of the profession at a national level.

Delivered by experts through term-time day release

The course is delivered over five years, including the End Point Assessment.

At least 20% of apprentices' contracted hours will be classed as ‘off the job’. This time will be dedicated to developing the knowledge and skills needed to meet the requirements of the apprenticeship, and therefore is not part of their usual work duties.

The off-the-job learning is gained through university-led learning sessions and activities, and practical learning experiences in the usual work setting.

Apprentices will attend term-time day release sessions at our Chelmsford campus led by sector specialists and practitioners.

What are the entry requirements? 

As an employer your business sets out the person specifications for the role, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto the course. You can view the full entry requirements on our apprentice course page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.