Degree Apprenticeship BSc (Hons) Project Management Project Manager

Information for employers

Attract new staff or develop existing employees into capable and efficient project managers with our Project Management Degree Apprenticeship: a cost-effective way to grow and retain your talent

A young female sitting at an office table is working on a project with two male colleagues

Developing leaders of change

Designed with employers, our Project Management Degree Apprenticeship balances theory with practical, real-time learning in the workplace.
Following a programme of 16 days of face-to-face workshops per year, apprentices will master the practical project management skills, knowledge and behaviours to become qualified project managers, eligible for full membership of the Association of Project Managers.

Who is this apprenticeship for?

This apprenticeship is for anyone responsible for managing end-to-end projects or a sub-set of more complex projects. The programme is also ideal for anyone aspiring to work in project management and develop the practical project management and leadership skills needed to be a highly successful and efficient project manager. The apprenticeship is suitable for apprentices working within the public, private and third sectors and in a wide range of industries. You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or develop your existing staff.

Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Degree apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of the apprenticeship or receive funding support from the government. 

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account. 

The cost of the Project Management programme for levy paying employers is £22,000 and this can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%. 

If your organisation is not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the of the Project Management programme for non-levy paying employers is just £1,100.

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Delivered by experts, through face-to-face and work-based learning

The course is delivered over two years and the apprentices then have up to six months to complete the End Point Assessment to complete the apprenticeship.

20% of their learning will be classed as ‘off the job’, which means that they'll be learning during normal working hours either in their place of work or outside – but not part of their normal working duties.

The off-the-job learning is gained through university-led learning sessions and activities, and practical learning experiences in the usual work setting.

Apprentices will attend 16 days of face-to-face workshops per year at corporate venues in Cambridge or Chelmsford, led by sector specialists and practitioners.

What are the entry requirements?

As an employer your business sets out the person specifications for the role, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto the course. You can view the full entry requirements on our apprentice course page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.