Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Higher Apprenticeship FdSc Hearing Aid Audiology Hearing Aid Dispenser

Information for employers

Attract new staff or develop existing employees into qualified Hearing Aid Dispensers with our HCPC accredited Hearing Aid Dispenser Higher Apprenticeship: a cost-effective way to grow and retain audiology talent.
A mature lady being fitted with a hearing device

Developing Hearing Specialists

Designed with employers, our Hearing Aid Dispenser Higher Apprenticeship balances theory with practical, real-time learning in the workplace.
Apprentices develop the full range of skills, knowledge and behaviours to become qualified Hearing Aid Dispensers and gain registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

Who is this apprenticeship for?

This apprenticeship is ideal for anyone with a passion for improving the lives of those with hearing difficulty, or ear health issues, with aspirations to become a qualified HCPC registered Hearing Aid Dispenser. The apprenticeship will create talent for job roles such as Audiologist, Hearing Aid Audiologist, Hearing Aid Dispenser and Hearing Specialist.

The programme has been designed for employers who have a HCPC registered mentor to support and guide the apprentice in their study and career progression for the duration of the apprenticeship. You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or develop your existing staff.

Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of the apprenticeship or receive funding support from the government.

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account.

The cost of the Hearing Aid Dispenser programme for levy paying employers is £11,000 and this can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%.

If your organisation is not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the of the Hearing Aid Dispenser programme for non-levy paying employers is just £550.

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Delivered by experts, blending online and face-to-face learning

The course combines online learning, with a series of face-to-face residentials on our Cambridge campus, which include seminars, lectures and practical laboratory workshops. Apprentices will spend up to three weeks on campus with our academic team in Trimesters 1 and 2 each year. This blend of online and face-to-face learning fosters a collaborative and supportive programme, augmented by online discussions, student blogs and critical reflection and analysis under the guidance of experienced tutors.

20% of their learning will be classed as ‘off the job’, which means that they'll be learning during normal working hours either in their place of work or outside – but not part of their normal working duties.

What are the entry requirements? 

As an employer your business sets out the person specifications for the role, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto the course. You can view the full entry requirements on our apprentice course page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Industry recognised professional accreditation

Health & Care Professions Council

HCPC Registration

Successful completion of the Hearing Aid Dispenser Higher Apprenticeship will mean apprentices will also gain registration with the Health and Care Professions Council. HCPC registration demonstrates that the apprentice meets their standards for training, professional skills, behaviour and health.

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.