Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Information and support for specific student groups

At ARU, we are committed to building a supportive community where students feel welcomed, heard and valued.

We're dedicated to supporting your wellbeing, providing opportunities to engage with your peers, and connecting you with the tools and services you need to succeed. Student Services and the Students’ Union are your first points of contact if you’d like information, advice and guidance while you’re studying with us.

We also offer a confidential service to promote mental health and wellbeing. You can talk to the Counselling and Wellbeing Service about anything that's worrying you, from minor concerns to major issues, from grief to relationship difficulties, panic attacks, exam anxieties, stress, and anything else.

Read on for more information about the additional resources available.

At ARU, we're working to achieve race equality by becoming an actively anti-racist institution through a process of cultural change.

We have a team of student Race Equality Advocates who lead and deliver anti-racist activities at ARU. Their work evolves every year according to the interests of the students in the team, but the focus is on raising awareness of racism and its impact, running educational activities and events, and supporting curriculum diversification at ARU. You can contact the Race Equality Advocates during your studies at [email protected].

Read more about our commitments on our Race Equality page.

Through the ARU Students’ Union, Race Equality Reps are chosen by students to be their voice and represent their interests on the Students' Union Executive Committee.

If you're a care leaver, or care experienced, there's a dedicated team at ARU who'll support you throughout your higher education experience.

You'll find more information on our Support for care leavers page.

When you apply

Our Outreach Team is here to offer support and guidance, before and after you apply.

They can help if you're just starting to think about higher education, want advice about personal statements and student finance, and more.

Find out more about support before and after you apply or contact the team on [email protected].

When you start studying here

When your status changes from an ‘applicant’ to a ‘student,’ our Student Experience team takes over as your point of contact. They're here to support you throughout your studies.

Some of the support we offer includes:

  • peer support network
  • monthly newsletter
  • 365-day accommodation
  • designated money adviser
  • bursaries and support funds
  • employability support.

Find out more about support throughout your studies or contact the team on [email protected].

ARU recognises the barriers and reduced access to higher education that impacts potential students from the Gypsy, Traveller, Roma, Showmen and Boater (GTRSB) communities.

We've made a commitment to support both potential and current GTRSB students to ARU by signing the GTRSB into Higher Education Pledge.

For more information about the work we're undertaking to support you, visit our Gypsies, Travellers, Roma, Showmen and Boaters into Higher Education Pledge page.

Through the ARU Students’ Union, you can join existing LGBTQ+ societies where you can meet other LGBTQ+ students and allies. You can also start up a new society and grow your own community based on your identity or area of interest.

You're also welcome to join ARU’s LGBTQ+ Research Group, where staff and students come together to research LGBTQ+ issues and investigate ways to improve queer people’s lives.

LGBT+ and Trans Campaign Reps, nominated by students, act as a voice for LGBTQ+ student community, and represent their interests on the Students' Union Executive Committee.

We have also set out a Trans Equality Policy which outlines out our commitment to supporting Trans and non-binary staff and students in our community.

Read more about support for LGBTQ+ students and some of the research and events taking place at ARU.


If you become pregnant while studying, there are a number of ways to get advice and support. These include:

  • your Personal Development Tutor who you can talk to about any aspect of your studies
  • the Student Advice Service which can discuss the best options for you, including any break you might need to take from study or assessments
  • the Money Advice Service who can offer advice about managing your money and any benefits you may be entitled to
  • a range of health and wellbeing services.

We also run the ARU Breastfeeding Support Hub, which offers professional support around breastfeeding and lactation as well as practical, social and emotional support for families. You are welcome to breastfeed in any space on campus.

We know that studying alongside being a parent can feel like you're taking on a lot. But you're not alone, and there's plenty of help and support on offer at ARU. This includes:

  • our Student Parents Peer Group where you can share knowledge, ask questions, and offer advice and support to one another
  • your Personal Development Tutor who you can talk to about any aspect of your course or concerns that may affect your studies
  • a range of range of health and wellbeing services

You may also be entitled to extra financial support, such as benefits, tax credits or help with childcare costs. Our student finance pages for undergraduates and postgraduates have more information, or you can speak to our Money Advice Service for free, confidential advice.

"A carer is anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support.” (Carers Trust)

Whether you join ARU as a carer or unexpectedly become a carer while studying with us, we're here to offer you the support you need.

This includes:

  • your Personal Development Tutor who you can talk to about any aspect of your course or concerns that may affect your studies
  • a range of range of health and wellbeing services
  • social and sporting events on campus
  • support through the ARU Students' Union
  • signposting to other sources of support, such as councils and carers' groups.

As a carer, you may be entitled to extra financial support, such as benefits, tax credits or a council tax discount. Our Money Advice Service can tell you more.

Our Disability Support service offers information, advice, and specialist support to students with disabilities, including mental health difficulties, ongoing medical conditions, and specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia. They can also help with questions about Disabled Students’ Allowance.

Through the Students’ Union, Disabled Students’ Rep roles are available for those students with a disability to choose peers that will be their voice and represent their interests on the SU’s Executive Committee.