Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Degree Apprenticeship BSc (Hons) Environmental Management Environmental Practitioner

Information for employers

Strengthen and develop the environmental management and problem-solving skills of your existing talent and attract promising new recruits with our Environmental Practitioner Degree Apprenticeship; a cost-effective way to grow and retain sustainability talent

A man in a high-vis jacket and hard hat stands is standing by solar panels

Developing the environmental specialists of the future

Designed with employers, our Environmental Practitioner Degree Apprenticeship balances theory with practical, real-time learning in the workplace. Apprentices develop the core skills, knowledge, and occupational behaviours to achieve a high level of contemporary professional competency in the field making a real impact within your organisation.

Who is this apprenticeship for?

This apprenticeship is ideal for anyone currently working, or aspiring to work, in a role specialising in environmental and sustainability issues, who is looking to enhance their academic knowledge and career prospects with a degree level qualification. This apprenticeship will develop talent for roles including Environment impact assessor, Environmental (monitoring) assessor, Environmental advisor, Environmental auditor, Environmental consultant, Environmental coordinator, Environmental engineer, Environmental practitioner, Environmental protection officer, Environmental scientist and Land use planner.

You may wish to create a new role within your organisation to attract fresh talent or develop your existing staff.

Capabilities to better your business

A cost-effective way to develop and retain talent

Degree apprenticeships are a smart investment. You can reinvest Apprenticeship Levy funds to cover the cost of the apprenticeship or receive funding support from the government.

If you operate in England and your annual payroll is over £3 million, you pay a levy of 0.5% of your payroll into a levy account.

The cost of the Environmental Practitioner programme for levy paying employers is £27,000 and this can be covered in full using the non-refundable funds in your levy account. If you exhaust the funds in your levy account, then the government will pay 95% of the outstanding fees and you will need to pay the remaining 5%.

If you are an SME, not required to pay the levy, you will pay only 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme while the government pays the remaining 95%. The cost of the of the Environmental Practitioner programme for non-levy paying employers is just £1,350.

For more about the Apprenticeship Levy, and to find out about any additional incentive payments for hiring a new apprentice from the government, please visit the key information section on our Degree apprenticeships for employers page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Delivered by experts, blending online and face-to-face learning

The course combines online learning, with one-day face-to-face workshops on our ARU Peterborough campus every other week. The on-campus workshops will include tutorials, practical sessions and lectures. This blend of online and face-to-face learning fosters a collaborative and supportive programme, augmented by online discussions, student blogs and critical reflection and analysis under the guidance of experienced tutors. 

What are the entry requirements?

As an employer your business sets out the person specifications for the role, but the apprentice will need to meet our entry requirements to be accepted onto the course. You can view the full entry requirements on our apprentice course page.

Our team of dedicated consultants can talk you through the detail.

Visit the apprentice course page for full course details

Helping you find the right apprentice

Woman smiling iStock image 498941586

Recruitment support

Our dedicated apprenticeship team is on hand to help you attract the best candidates for your organisation. We can help with:

  • Crafting job advertisements
  • Promoting your vacancy to our registered and targeted candidate mailing list
  • Adding your vacancy to the National Apprenticeship Service ‘Find an Apprenticeship’ on your behalf
  • Sharing opportunities across our social media channels.

Our consultants will also be happy to support you in determining the suitability of the candidates you receive.

Next steps

If you'd like to know more about the apprenticeship, have a current employee in mind or are thinking of recruiting an apprentice for your business, our designated team of experts are here to support you at every step. Get in touch today.