Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Students with a disability or medical condition

If you have any physical or mental health concerns or disabilities please let us know when you apply online for accommodation.

Our allocations policy allows all full-time students with a disability or medical condition to apply for University provided accommodation, regardless of their year of study.


We understand that certain medical conditions, disabilities and life events can have a big impact on day-to-day living, so many of our rooms already have some useful features to help you make the most of living in University accommodation. If you have other adaptations or considerations in mind, let us know and we'll do our best to facilitate this.

Some examples of adaptations we already have in our accommodation include:

  • flashing fire alarms
  • larger rooms with space for a wheelchair
  • grab rails
  • lowered shelving, switches and kitchen facilities
  • wet rooms
  • personal fridges for medication or to prevent contamination from allergens
  • carer’s accommodation
  • push entry door systems
  • sole use of a kitchen or bathroom.

Students needing personal care

If you currently have personal care support, or think you might need it when you join ARU, please ask your local social services department for an assessment for living independently away from home and share this with us.

You're responsible for organising your own ongoing care and support arrangements, which could include needing a carer, overnight care, help with daily personal care, cooking, shopping, cleaning and laundry.

Read more about arranging personal care while studying at ARU.

When and how to apply

If you're a first-year student, we recommend applying as soon as possible after you accept ARU as your firm choice. This gives us time to advise you on accommodation and make sure that your room is ready for the start of your contract.

Log on to our accommodation portal to start your application.

On page 2 you will be asked about your medical requirements. You’ll then need to download a Disability/Medical Condition form. The information you provide will be assessed by our Residential Service and Student Services teams, who'll then liaise directly with you.

After your first year, we'll ask you to complete part one of the Disability/Medical Condition form again if you want to continue living in University accommodation. Unless there's been a significant change in your health, a medical professional won’t need to complete the second part of the form again.

If you're a current student, please let us know as soon as possible if your accommodation no longer suits your needs due to a change in health.

Car parking facilities

We have limited car parking spaces available for Blue Badge holders at certain residences.

If you have a Blue Badge and need to bring your car to university, please make this clear in your Disability/Medical Condition form.

Appeals process

If your application is not approved, or only partially approved, you can provide additional medical evidence to support your request.