Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Accommodation for English language students

Kitchen in university halls

If you're taking an English language course at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, there are accommodation options on campus, or nearby. Read about your options on this page.

We always try to meet your preferred choice, but please note this is subject to availability, and we may have to suggest alternative options. Accommodation in Cambridge is in very high demand, so we recommend trying to sort this out as soon as you can.

Accommodation options

In Cambridge, there is university accommodation on campus, or close by. Find out more about accommodation in Cambridge.

In Chelmsford, our Student Village is on campus and has around 500 rooms. Find out more about our Student Village.

If you'd prefer to rent privately, our accommodation team can provide help and advice.


If you are studying English with us in Cambridge either as an individual or in a group, you can choose to stay with a host family. This is a great way to integrate into British culture and practise your English. Unlike our other accommodation options, this is arranged through the Language Centre.

We work with a reputable homestay accommodation agency who are registered with the British Council. They can provide different options including single and twin rooms, and half and full board (we can’t guarantee that you’ll be able to prepare or cook your own meals).

The homestay provider will try to place you close to Anglia Ruskin University, but you may have to use public transport to travel to campus. Once your homestay is confirmed, we will send you details of the best way to travel to campus.

We offer advice and a referral service for private rental accommodation and homestay. While we make every effort to help students find suitable and secure accommodation, any arrangement that you enter into is at the discretion of you and the accommodation provider.

Booking your accommodation

Pre-sessional English

If you would like to book university accommodation during your course, please contact our Residential Service team. They will send you a booking form.

Once you complete the form, our accommodation team will send confirmation of your accommodation booking. This may take a few days. You will receive details about your accommodation and how much you need to pay. This may include your first rent payment.

Accommodation for your Degree or Foundation/Pathway course

If you are planning to progress on to a degree course with us, after your English course has finished, you can book accommodation online for this too. To book accommodation for your degree course:

Arriving on campus

If you arrive at ARU during office hours (Monday-Friday, 9.30am-5pm), staff in our Residential Services team will issue your accommodation keys.

If you plan to arrive at another time, contact our Residential Services team. Your keys will be made available from our Safety & Security Team. If you are in difficulty the 24-hour emergency numbers for students on campus are:

  • +44 (0)1223 417734 (Cambridge)
  • +44 (0) 245 683628 (Chelmsford).