Two mobile phone screens showing the SafeZone app

Making sure that you’re safe at university is a priority for us, that’s why we have security teams on our campuses dedicated to your safety. We've also introduced the SafeZone app to give you quick and easy access to ARU security and first aid, should you need it.

Download our SafeZone app

Visit to download the free app to your phone.

SafeZone makes it easy for you to get help or request assistance any time you're on campus or in University-owned student accommodation. It works 24/7 and will connect you directly with our Safety & Security Team if you need first aid, have an emergency or want to report something.

The app is used by universities around the world. You can find out more about its features by visiting

If you have any feedback on the app, or the information and services we provide, email [email protected]

Your personal safety

It goes without saying that you'll want to enjoy your time at university. Our campuses are based in places that are safe to live in, but we'd always recommend being aware of your surroundings and and making sure you and your friends look out for each other.

Tips for staying safe

On campus:

  • Get to know your way around campus, and familiarise yourself with the opening hours
  • Don’t allow anyone that doesn’t have student ID access to ARU buildings or accommodation
  • Always protect your personal belongings
  • Don’t leave valuables, such as laptops or mobile phones unattended
  • Familiarise yourself with how to report a crime on campus

In accommodation:

  • Make sure you lock all windows and doors when you go out
  • Keep your valuables out of sight
  • Keep your curtains or blinds closed at night
  • Register your valuable items
  • Ask unknown visitors for identification before letting them enter your home

Around the city:

  • Try to avoid walking home on your own at night
  • If you do find yourself out alone at night, keep to well-lit areas with other people around
  • Be aware of your surroundings
  • Let your flatmates or friends know where you’re going and when you’ll be home
  • Make sure your mobile phone always has plenty of charge, especially when you’re out alone
  • Don't leave drinks unattended in bars or nightclubs
  • Keep your valuable items out of sight

Sexual violence

It is important to know that it is never the victim or survivor's responsibility to keep themselves safe, no one deserves to be treated this way. Sexual violence and harassment means any behaviour of a sexual nature that is unsolicited and takes place without consent. This can be anything from inappropriate comments to sexual assault and rape.

ARU has a Student Sexual Violence Advocacy Service. Student Sexual Violence Advocates (SSVAs) offer practical support and advocacy around reporting processes; this includes reporting sexual misconduct to ARU or reporting to the police. SSVAs support students who have been subjected to any form of sexual violence, regardless of their age, gender, sexuality, background, when or where the sexual violence took place. Find out more about Sexual Violence Support.


Living in a new city or country is exciting, and we hope you enjoy settling into your new life here at ARU. For those of you who have come to the UK to study, you may notice that some of our laws and customs are different to your home country.

While emergencies are rare, it's important to know who to contact if they do happen.

Emergencies on campus

There's security 24 hours a day, seven days a week on our Cambridge, Chelmsford and Writtle campuses.

Our Safety & Security Team can be reached on:

  • 6666 (from an ARU telephone)
  • 01223 417734 (Cambridge)
  • 01245 683628 (Chelmsford)
  • 01245 683628 (Writtle out of hours).

Calling the emergency services

Call 999 to contact the fire brigade, police or ambulance service. The call is free.

You will be asked whether you want the fire service, ambulance or police. In a medical emergency, ask for an ambulance. You will be asked to give your phone number, name and address.

You should only call 999 in the case of a genuine emergency.

Medical accident or emergency

If you need urgent medical treatment, but you are well enough to travel, you can go to a hospital with an Accident and Emergency department (A&E). These departments are open 24 hours a day and can help you if you have a serious illness or injury.

Non-emergency medical service

If you need medical help, but it is not an emergency, telephone 111. This is operated by the NHS (state healthcare) and you will be directed to the local service that can help you best. The call is free, including from mobile phones.


The police in the UK are here to assist you. Their role is to protect you and your property, and prevent crime, along with bringing people to justice.

Police in the UK don’t routinely carry fire arms. If questioned by police you should always remain calm and be polite. If you’re an international student, please remember that being charged for an offence and receiving a penalty in the UK can affect any future visa applications to stay in or return to the UK.

101 police service

You can telephone 101 when you need to report something to the police, but it's not an emergency – for example, if you have had property stolen. The call is free, including from mobile phones.

If you're affected by any crime and would like to talk to someone, please remember that our Student Services Team is here to help. Call 01245 686700 or email [email protected]

Your health and wellbeing

While you're studying or working at ARU, our counselling, chaplaincy and advice services are always here to help.

We recommend that you register with a local GP service when you start university. See Before you get here for more information.