Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Sexual Violence Support

Illustration of five people - one of the people is highlighted in yellow Close this page

If you are a victim or survivor of sexual violence, it is important to know that what you have experienced was not your fault. No one deserves to be treated this way, no matter the circumstances. You deserve support, and you deserve to have your voice heard.

The ARU Student Sexual Violence Advocacy Service (SSVA) is here to support you if you have been subjected to sexual violence of any form. The SSVA Service will listen and believe. They will also offer practical support and advocacy.

You can access support from the SSVA Service if you have been subjected to sexual violence, no matter where it took place or who it was perpetrated by. The SSVA Service also supports students who were subjected to historical or child sexual abuse prior to joining ARU.

The ARU Student Sexual Violence Advocacy Service provides practical support and advocacy in order to help you remain studying at ARU safely.

There is no pressure to access SSVA support; it should always be your choice and should be accessed when it feels right for you. If you don’t feel ready to access support yet, then that is okay.


More information about the SSVA service

What does SSVA support look like?

Guidance for students subjected to sexual misconduct

Please be aware the ARU Sexual Violence Advocacy Service is temporarily closed, and we cannot currently accept new referrals. However, ARU is still here to support you. For support, please do reach out to: [email protected] and someone will be in contact with you soon.

Please also note that you can also reach out to your local Rape Crisis Centre for support. The local Rape Crisis Centres are:

Rape Crisis Centres are available nationally. Search for a Rape Crisis Centre.


Please note, the service uses the Counselling and Wellbeing Service Confidentiality Statement.

If you want to formally report what has happened to you for ARU to investigate, you can find out more on our behaviour and conduct concerns page on My ARU.

You can also talk with an SSVA about formally reporting to ARU. Please contact us at [email protected]

Recent sexual violence (within the last seven days)

Sexual Misconduct Policy

Sexual Violence and Misconduct Strategy


Close this page

Counselling at ARU

The Counselling and Wellbeing Service is available to all ARU students and offers a free and confidential service to promote mental health and wellbeing.

Find out more
Close this page