Studying with us for longer than six months

If you’re coming to study with us for an undergraduate, postgraduate taught or postgraduate research course, you’ll need to apply for a student visa to enter the UK.

To apply for your student visa, you’ll need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). This contains a unique 14-digit alpha-numeric reference number and the information we have sent to the UK Visas and Immigration regarding your study with us.

We will issue a 'CAS statement' which includes the CAS number and information that you’ll need to complete your student visa application form.

The earliest you can apply for your student visa is six months before the start of your course.

For most countries, the UKVI will make a decision on your visa within three weeks of receiving your application. Check the guide processing times to find out how long it may take to get a visa in your country.

Please note that we will not issue your CAS until you have met all the conditions of your offer, including paying your deposit and sending us a copy of the information page from your passport.

We strongly recommend visiting our student visa applications page which has more details about the visa application process and how to prepare for it.

Here are some examples of what you can find in our guidance:

  • basic application requirements
  • documents required
  • CAS information
  • credibility interviews
  • visa fees
  • working during your studies.

We also recommend you start planning your visa application early. This is especially important if you are from a country which requires you to obtain a certificate confirming you do not have infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) before making an immigration application to come to the UK. Find out how to obtain a TB certificate in your country. Please be aware that you’ll need to book an appointment and at busy times (such as between July to October) you may have to wait ten days or more for an appointment.

You’ll also be required to show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your remaining fees and a fixed amount towards your living costs. This is known as maintenance. You must be able to show, using original bank statements, that the money has been held for at least 28 days (finishing on the date of the closing balance) the end of that 28-day period cannot be more than one month before the date of the application. The bank statements must also be from a bank recognised by UK Visas and Immigration. If the bank account is not a UK current account then you must show that you have sufficient funds based on the prevailing exchange rate at the time of the application of your visa (not at the time the bank statement commenced). You cannot apply for your visa if you do not meet this requirement – your application will be refused.

If you are in doubt please check with us or with our in-country representatives as non-compliance with this requirement even on a technicality will result in a refusal of your visa. If you would like further information about applying for a visa, contact the British Embassy or High Commission in your home country.

International candidates who are applying for postgraduate level courses in certain science or technology subjects (and who are not from either a European Economic Area country, Switzerland or the USA) will require ATAS clearance certification from The Foreign and Commonwealth Office. This will mainly apply to students undertaking postgraduate taught or research degrees in the faculties of Science & Technology, Health, Social Care & Education and Medical Science.

If you require an ATAS certificate, we’ll inform you of this requirement in your offer letter and provide you with details to support your ATAS application. For more information about ATAS including guidance on submitting an application visit the website.