Writtle University College and ARU have merged. Writtle’s full range of college, degree, postgraduate and short courses will still be delivered on the Writtle campus. See our guide to finding Writtle information on this site.

Postgraduate housing - is this an option?


Faculty: Arts, Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
School: School of Creative Industries
Course: MA Dramatherapy
Category: Music and performing arts

31 July 2020

This blog is going to be a little tricky for me to write because, as individuals, we all have different wants and needs from our accommodation plans. That being said, I’ll do my best to outline the options that you have when coming to study a postgraduate course at ARU Cambridge.

Student Accommodation

The first option is student specific accommodation which is owned and/or managed by ARU. This tends to be a little more expensive than private renting but it is well located close to the city centre and the campus; sometimes it’s literally on campus! This option is also good if you know that you want to live with other students, bear in mind though, you might not be placed with other postgraduate students so if the undergraduate lifestyle doesn’t suit what you’re looking for, think twice about this one. This cost of this accommodation ranges from £93 per week to £149 per week for a single, shared bathroom or ensuite room.


This option is great if you’re looking for a room in a shared house or for a private lodging in someone else’s house. This website connects people with a spare room to people who are looking for a room in various locations around the UK, including Cambridge! A single room ranges from just under £500 and if you have a bike, Cambridge is a pretty good city to cycle around and you’ll have no trouble commuting in from most areas.

Private Renting (Sole Occupancy)

There is also the option to rent accommodation through a letting agent or private landlord (that’s someone who rents without an agent involved). This is likely to be an expensive option but if you like your privacy and can afford this, it’s a good, safe and reliable option and you won’t have to moan about someone else’s washing up. Make sure that you have a contract in place before handing over any money and that any deposits you pay are placed into a tenancy deposit scheme too. A quick google or search on Rightmove will show you the average prices of what you’re looking for with this one!

Private Renting (House of Multiple Occupancy / HMO)

Another option for renting privately is to find a group of like-minded people to move in with; these can be students, friends or other young professionals in the area. Make sure you meet people though proper channels such as the University or other secure platforms that you can trust - NEVER send money to anyone online that you haven’t met before. This is a great option, when done safely and in full collaboration with others. Make sure you all have your name on the contract and that you’re only paying rent for your own room and shared spaces.

Living with Partner or Family

Finally, some people will be lucky enough to be local to the area and can choose to commute in to the city. There are good transport links, with (relatively) reliable buses and trains. Doing this can often be cheaper than renting in the city and is beneficial if your course has lectures only a couple of days per week, but it does mean there is always the looming ‘next train home’ time.

I hope this blog has helped with making sense of your options for living in Cambridge! It’s a wonderful city to be a student in and I’m sure you’ll have a great time here. Good luck and, don’t forget, always make the option that feels best for you.


The views expressed here are those of the individual and do not necessarily represent the views of Anglia Ruskin University. If you've got any concerns please contact us.