Consumer information

Academic programme information

For information about current degree programmes and other educational and training programmes available at the University, please see the following pages:

For information about instructional, laboratory, and other physical plant facilities that relate to your academic programme, and for faculty and other instructional personnel, please see the relevant department page found via your course page, under where you will study. Should a plan exist to improve your academic programme, this would be communicated to you by the relevant department.

School and programme accreditation, approval or licensure

In the UK, the power to award degrees is regulated by law and the Privy Council is responsible for the granting of degree awarding powers and university titles. The University's power to award degrees derives from Section 214 of the Education Reform Act 1988. This University is one of the degree-awarding bodies recognized under that Act.

If an individual course is accredited by a professional or regulatory body, this will be listed on the relevant programme specification.

Services and facilities available to students with disabilities

Information about the facilities and services available to students with disabilities, including intellectual disabilities, is available from the Student Support Service.

Completion/graduation and retention rates

Information on the University’s completion and transfer-out rates is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Due to the very low non-continuation rate, the University is unable to supply a breakdown of completion or transfer-out rates by gender, ethnicity or recipients of need-based Subsidized loans, as this may reveal personally identifiable information about an individual student, which would contravene the General Data Protection Regulation.

Retention rate

Information on the University’s retention rate is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency.

Placement in employment, types of graduate and professional education in which the school's graduates enrol and job placement rates

The Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency. The timeframes and methodology associated with this survey are also explained on this website.

For undergraduate courses, you can also view useful statistics from the DLHE survey and National Student Survey via the Key Information Sets available through Unistats.

Copyright infringement policies and sanctions (including computer use and file sharing)

Unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, including unauthorized peer-to-peer file sharing, may subject you to civil and criminal liabilities.

The University's policies and sanctions related to copyright infringement and peer-to-peer file sharing are available in the Academic regulations and in the Rules, Regulations and Procedures for Students

Transfer of credit policies

Information on the University’s policies for transferring credit are found in section 4G of the Academic regulations. The Senate has approved a range of recognised awards and qualifications conferred by higher education institutions and other educational bodies, both within the UK and overseas, as the basis for admission with prior learning to specific courses at Anglia Ruskin University. Full details of this course tariff database are held by the Admissions Office.

For further details see our section on Accreditation of Prior Learning.

Vaccinations policy

Whilst the University does not require students to be vaccinated it provides the following advice and guidance.

Due to an increase in cases of meningitis type W, new first year students (aged under 25) are now recommended to have the Meningitis ACWY vaccine.  This is different from the previous meningitis C vaccine. Please make an appointment with your local doctor/general practice to have this vaccine before coming to Anglia Ruskin University. The ACWY vaccine has not been part of the routine immunization schedule before, although some people will have had it for travel purposes.  If you have had ACWY vaccine in the last five years, you do not need another dose.

The Health Protection Agency recommends that young adults are protected against mumps by receiving two doses of MMR vaccine, which gives 90% protection. If you have not had both the normal doses of MMR vaccine, it is strongly recommended that you are immunized before coming to Anglia Ruskin University, as there have been clusters of cases of mumps and measles at various universities. MMR can be given at the same time as the Meningitis ACWY vaccine. It is better to be immunized before arrival but it will be possible to have the vaccine later, once you have registered with a doctor if you prefer.

We have medical centres on both our Cambridge and Chelmsford campuses; we'll show you where they are during your orientation programme.

More information can be found on the NHS choices website.

Drug and alcohol abuse

Under the U.S. Higher Education Act, a student may become ineligible for US Federal student aid upon a conviction of any offence involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving Title IV federal financial aid. Federal aid includes: US Federal Direct Loans and US Federal Direct PLUS Loans

According to the United States Department of Education, if a student is convicted of a drug offence after receiving Federal aid, they must notify the US Funding team immediately. The student may be ineligible for further aid in that academic year and be required to pay back all US Federal aid received after the date of the conviction.

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when the student successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program or the conviction is reversed, set aside or otherwise rendered nugatory. The student will lose eligibility again upon a subsequent drug conviction.

For complete information, contact the Federal Student Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID. Also find detail in our code of conduct for students in the Rules, Regulations and Procedures for Students

We offer a free and fully confidential Counselling and Wellbeing Serviceto all current students.

Textbook information

Information about required and recommended textbooks and materials will be made available to you by your academic department by the beginning of the first week of teaching for each of your modules. For more details about learning materials see our Student Charter.

Privacy of student records

Your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)are outlined on the University's privacy page. For information on how to make a request for access to personal data under the GDPR, please email the Records Management Team.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all Universities that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a University beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

  • Students have the right to inspect and review their personal financial aid application records maintained by Anglia Ruskin University. In the case of dependent students, Universities may provide parents access to inspect and review the student’s financial aid application records maintained by the University. We are not required to provide photocopies of information in the student’s financial aid records unless it is impossible for the student and/or parent to inspect the records personally. (Although allowed by law) the University will not charge a fee for photocopies.
  • Parents or eligible students have the right to request that the University correct records which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student then has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the University still decides not to amend the record, the parent or eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record setting forth his or her view about the contested information.
  • Generally, we must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record. However, FERPA allows us to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions:
    • University officials with legitimate educational interest;
    • Other University’s to which a student is transferring;
    • Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
    • Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
    • Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
    • Accrediting organizations;
    • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
    • Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
    • State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.
  • We will maintain a record in the student’s file listing to whom personally identifiable information was disclosed and the legitimate interests the parties had in obtaining the information (does not apply to school officials with a legitimate educational interest or to directory information)

We may disclose, without consent, "directory" information such as a student's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, honors and awards, and dates of attendance. However, we must tell parents and eligible students about directory information and allow parents and eligible students a reasonable amount of time to request that the school not disclose directory information about them.

We will notify students annually of their rights under FERPA.

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

If you take out a federal loan at Anglia Ruskin University, we will submit the details of your loan to NSLDS and this data will be accessible to guaranty agencies, lenders and schools determined to be authorised users of the data system.

Code of conduct for education loans

The University's code of conduct for US education loans is as follows:

In order to prohibit a conflict of interest with the responsibilities of an agent with respect to private education loans, all agents at the University with responsibility for US loans are prohibited from:

  • Revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender; 
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor, or a loan servicer;
  • Contracting arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender; 
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders or refusing or delaying loan certifications;
  • Offers of funds for private loans;
  • Call centre or financial aid office staffing assistance; and
  • Advisory board compensation.

All agents with responsibility for US loans are reminded at least annually of the code.