Harassment support at ARU

At ARU, we’re committed to making sure that everyone in our community is treated with dignity and respect.

Bullying, discrimination, harassment, hate crimes, sexual violence and harassment, and domestic abuse can happen to anyone regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, class, or background.

What support is available?

The University’s team of professional counsellors and mental health advisors offer a confidential service where you can discuss anything that is worrying you.

Counselling and mental health support

ARU has a Student Sexual Violence Advocacy Service. Student Sexual Violence Advocates (SSVAs) offer practical support and advocacy around reporting processes; this includes reporting sexual misconduct to ARU or reporting to the police. SSVAs support students who has been subjected to any form of sexual violence, regardless of their age, gender, sexuality, background, when or where the sexual violence took place.

Find out more about Sexual Violence Support

Immediate support for sexual violence

You can visit the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) after an incident of sexual violence. At the SARC, individuals will be offered support and guidance, a medical assessment/treatment, a forensic examination, and the opportunity of aftercare referrals for support services.

Cambridge and Peterborough: The Elms

Chelmsford: Oakwood Place

Nationwide: Find Rape and sexual assault referral centres services - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

The Students' Union Advice Service is a free, confidential and impartial service where an advisor can provide you with advice, support and representation. They are a safe place to discuss your concerns and they can support you through the complaints process if you choose to pursue this.

Visit angliastudent.com/advice

Our Chaplaincy is here for you regardless of your religion or beliefs. You’re welcome to talk to them about anything – they are not counsellors or specialists but are good listeners and can offer you friendly support.

Visit Faiths and beliefs on My ARU

Student Advice Service offers friendly and professional help, advice and guidance about your academic life if you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened.

Visit the Student Advice Service on My ARU

Sometimes it can be helpful to share your experiences with others, and societies can be a place to discuss these issues with people who have faced similar experiences or who have similar interests.

Visit angliastudent.com/societies

International Student Support offer free advice and support for international students regarding all aspects of university life, including personal support, help meeting people and more.

Visit aru.ac.uk/international/student-support

Anonymous reporting

You can tell us what has happened anonymously, where you do not disclose any personal details. This information can really help us to improve our support.

Please note that using this anonymous reporting tool will not result in a formal complaint and we will not be able to take formal or informal action. Visit My ARU for guidance on making a formal complaint

Are you in immediate danger?

Get emergency help. If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999.

Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere that you feel safe. If you are on campus and are scared or fearful you can contact Security using SafeZone or by calling 01245 686666.

Blurred photo of people walking

What incidents can I tell ARU about?

You can tell us about bullying, harassment, sexual violence, domestic abuse, discrimination, and hate crimes and incidents. If you're unsure on any of these, you can read more here.

Read more on the types of incident
Illustration of five people - one of the people is highlighted in yellow

Have you been subjected to sexual violence?

The Student Sexual Violence Advocacy (SSVA) service is here to support you if you have been subjected to sexual violence of any form.

Get support from our SSVA service Read more about sexual violence