Faculty:Faculty of Arts, Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
School:Cambridge School of Creative Industries
Areas of Expertise:
Film and television production
Josh is a filmmaker with 25 years of industry experience in TV, film, online marketing and visitor attractions and a research interest in using video to communicate in innovative ways.
With a broad interest in using video storytelling for education, communication and social justice, Josh has worked in all areas of film, video, and television.
After an MFA from USC, he assisted on a Sundance winning documentary before working in post production at Universal Studios.
Back in the UK, Josh moved into broadcast and online video with CNBC while also working with a range of NGOs and museums creating narrative and documentary films as well as interactive apps and games.
He also worked as Head of Production at TUI Group and with Cambridge-based Visual Communications company Somersault before entering academia.
- Storytelling through documentary and narrative
- Impact of video and digital content on audiences
- Use of video for science and environmental communication
- Content innovation and personalisation through AR/VR and interactivity
- Platforms of delivery – Single, Multiscreen and Immersive presentation and interactivity
Josh currently teaches on the following modules:
- Screen Skills (BA, Year 1 & 2)
- Graduation Films (BA, Year 3)
- Visual Storytelling (MA)
- PGC, Academic Practice, University of Brighton
- MFA, Film/Video Production, University of Southern California
- BA / MA, Theology and Philosophy, University of Oxford
Memberships, editorial boards
Research grants, consultancy, knowledge exchange
- Lead researcher, RISE Knowledge Exchange for Your Sales Partners Ltd.
- Communications consultant, Cambridge Smart Plastics
- Communications consultant, Workplace Buzz
Selected recent publications
Bukauskas, A. et al. Curved-crease origami face shields for infection control. Plos One. 2021.
Recent presentations and conferences
2019 Brightcove: PLAY (Boston, MA) – panel member
2018 Figaro Digital: Using content innovation
2018 Brightcove: PLAY – Personalising content experiences
2017 Festival of Marketing – Video concatenation and reaching
2017 Figaro Digital Marketing Conference – Keynote Speaker
2013 Museums Association Conference – A multi-screen experience at Torquay’s Torre Abbey
- 2012. CNBC International, "Energy Opportunities: The Global Brainstorm" – a documentary about finding solutions to future energy use
- 2011. CNBC International, "Energy Opportunities" – a documentary about creating a low carbon world
- 2006. "Five by Five" – a series of short films directed produced and curated with Ben Caplan
- 2002. "The Mail Gaze" short film
As First Assistant Editor:
- 2002. "Amandla! A Revolution in Four Part Harmony"