Dr Elizabeth Olusegun-Osoba
Faculty:Faculty of Engineering, Agri-tech and the Environment
Liz is a pharmaceutical chemist and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, with research interests in the field of medicinal chemistry, in particular natural polyphenols. She is also interested in pedagogic research with a particular focus on enhancing entrepreneurship in science education and academic skills.
Liz obtained her MSci (Hons) in Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Queen Mary, University of London. After spending several years working in the Pharmaceutical and chemical industry as a study scientist / scientific officer, she undertook a PhD at the University of Hertfordshire focusing on the design and synthesis of novel peanut polyphenols, demonstrating cancer chemopreventive and antifungal activity. Whilst completing her PhD, Liz was appointed as a Teaching and Research Associate within the department of Pharmacy.
Liz joined ARU Peterborough in May 2022 as a Senior Lecturer and Course Leader for Foundation Year. Prior to that she worked as a Senior lecturer at Kingston University, teaching on the MPharm, Foundation Degree and Foundation Year programmes within the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Computing. She has written several resources for early researcher scientists within industry and academia. Most recently her contribution includes ‘How to guides’ written for students and researchers in the scientific community published by Technology Networks. Liz is passionate about supporting students as they transition into the first year of university.
- Medicinal chemistry
- Entrepreneurship in scientific education
- Enhancing student academic skills
- Module leader for Literacies in Higher Education (Level 3)
- Module leader for Extended Project (Level 3)
- Contributes to Introduction to Life Sciences 1 (Level 3)
- Contributes to Mathematics for the Biosciences (Level 4)
- Contributes to Essential Knowledge and Skills for Person-centred Care (Level 4)
- Contributes to Fundamentals of Care for Patient Safety (Level 4)
- Module leader for Ruskin Module (Level 5)
- PhD Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Hertfordshire
- PG Cert Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, University of Hertfordshire
- MSci Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Queen Mary, University of London
Memberships, editorial boards
- Fellow Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC)
Selected recent publications
- Osoba, E, Philips, J.M and Kishi, M. (2023). The impact of the Self-Empowerment Journey (SEJ) in supporting students transition: A psychoeducational solution focused process to support students in transition to Higher Education [Manuscript submitted for publication].
Recent presentations and conferences
- Festival of Learning: Kingston University, London, 2022 – The Self-Empowerment Journey (SEJ): Supporting transitions – in, through and out of university. Mariko Kish, Elizabeth Osoba, Elliot Hughes, Jaqueline Mary Philips.
- RSC – Organic Division: Heterocyclic and synthesis group conference, Grasmere, 2013 – A flexible synthesis of stilbenesulfonamides and sulfones. Elizabeth Osoba, Paul Bassin, Suzanne Fergus, Sharon Rossiter.
- 7th Annual Biological and Medicinal Chemistry symposium, Cambridge, 2013 – Design, synthesis and biological activity of novel stilbene sulfonamides. Elizabeth Osoba, Paul Bassin, Suzanne Fergus, Sharon Rossiter.