Biomedical and Molecular Biology Senior Technician
Faculty:Faculty of Science and Engineering
Areas of Expertise:
Cell and Molecular Biology , Molecular techniques
Angela joined Anglia Ruskin in February 2006 where she is now responsible for preparing chemicals for student practicals and conducting research.
Angela has worked in numerous science-based companies gaining a variety of skills. These include:
- Addenbrooke's Hospital as an MLA for pH preparing and testing samples.
- Sanger centre as a Technical Assistant contributing to the preparation and storage of DNA and preparation of sequencing plates as well as QC.
- Vernalis drug discovery as an Associate Scientist within the Structural Biology division, responsible for the preparation of ribosomes from many bacterial species then moving across to the screening division screening compounds via an array of assays.
- Illumina as a Laboratory Technician in the instrumentation group scanning cells on a sophisticated proprietary DNA sequencing instrument.
- Cambridge University, Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine as a Senior research technician working on maedi-visna virus project, cell culture based.
BTEC first diploma in science
HNC applied biology
Selected recent publications
Brown, P.M.J., Ingels, B., Wheatley, A., Rhule, E.L., De Clercq, P., Van Leeuwen, T. and Thomas, A., 2015. Intraguild predation by Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) on native insects in Europe: molecular detection from field samples. Entomological science 18 (1), pp.130-133. DOI:10.1111/ens.12092
Thomas, A.P., Trotman, J., Wheatley, A., Aebi, A., Zindel, R. and Brown, P.M., 2013. Predation of native coccinellids by the invasive alien Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae): detection in Britain by PCR‐based gut analysis. Insect Conservation and Diversity, 6(1), pp.20-27. DOI:10.1111/j.1752-4598.2012.00184.x