Category: Student support services
18 November 2019
Many of our students take a placement year as part of their course - usually between years 2 and 3. Here's how our Placements Team can help you secure the perfect role.
At ARU we have a dedicated Placements Team (PEET), offering tailored training and support. It's available from your first year, to make sure you're able to secure the best placement and work experience opportunities.
If you’re interested in studying a course with a placement year, or an eligible course where you can add a placement, it's never too early to take action.
Why do a placement?
- Real experience that will stand out to future employers.
- Opportunity to achieve higher grades and a better class of degree.
- Chance to earn a salary.
- Improved likelihood of securing a grad role.
- When you first join ARU, check out the Career Centre for helpful resources; take your Career Pulse and use the tool CV360 to improve your CV.
In your first year
- Start applying for summer internships, you may even qualify for a bursary to help with the costs!
- Start researching employers you might like to work for.
- Study! When applying for placements, employers may ask how you’re progressing. Keep ahead of the competition by excelling from the start.
In your second year
- Meet with an adviser for a placements check-up – are you ready for your placement search?
- Network, network, network. Keep an eye on the Career Centre for ‘Employer on Campus’ events; these are chances to meet potential employers and ask them your questions.
- Attend our Get Ahead with Placements events in Chelmsford or Cambridge if you're considering a placement, and would like to know more.
- If you're registered for a placement, check your emails for information on ‘Get Placement Ready’ events, where you’ll be able to chat to students currently out on placement and ask them your questions.
Let’s hear from our placement students
“I have been able to develop personally in both confidence and competence. I feel that the placement, and the skills I gained, have helped me become more employable as a graduate and that more opportunities will be available to me.” Sarah, GlaxoSmithKline
“I would advise any incoming placement student to keep in mind that it is a privilege to have an opportunity to gain experience in your industry before graduation.” Maureen, Tecosim
“I have been able to develop various skills in such a short period of time and see real-life examples of what I have learnt in my university lectures.” George, CNH Industrial
You can find out more about the Placements Team and how to get in touch on the Career Centre.
By Jo Smith, Placements & Employer Engagement Manager