Sports students running outside on path on sunny day

Health and Wellbeing

There's lots of ways that you can take care of your health and wellbeing whilst you are at university. Here are some of the most common health and wellbeing questions we get asked at ARU.

I’ve struggled with my mental and emotional wellbeing in the past, will there be support at university?

We understand that studying can become difficult if you aren’t in the right frame of mind, mentally or emotionally. Most universities should now be able to offer wellbeing support to all students, but it’s important to check if support is available before you apply. That’s why we offer all of our students a free and fully confidential Counselling and Wellbeing Service. We have a range of professionals on hand who will be able to help you.We offer a drop in service 11.00am – 12.00 noon each day in Chelmsford where you can be seen by a counsellor or a mental health adviser.
Read more about i’ve struggled with my mental and emotional wellbeing in the past, will there be support at university?.

What if I get homesick?

Most students struggle with homesickness at one point or another during their time at university. It’s totally normal to feel this way, especially as moving away and living independently is such a big change for many students. Our recommended remedy for homesickness is to really get stuck into university life and make the most of all the opportunities available to you at ARU. If you find you are still struggling with homesickness then you can always talk to a friendly professional from our Counselling and Wellbeing service.
Read more about what if i get homesick?.

Will I be able to have an active lifestyle at university?

Definitely! When you get to you university your main focus will be studying, but it’s also important to ensure you are living a balanced lifestyle. Most universities have gym memberships, gym discounts and sports societies available. University is a great opportunity to learn a new sport or start a fitness regime affordably. At ARU, we know that you might not want to spend hours in the gym, which is why we offer a wide array of activities to help integrate exercise into your life.
Read more about will i be able to have an active lifestyle at university?.

I don’t really know how to take care of my personal wellbeing.

Starting university can be a very intense experience, which is why it’s important that you know how to look after yourself and what will help you manage this first few months. However, there are many people who might not know how best to look after their physical, emotional and mental wellbeing. If you don’t know much about wellbeing, university can be a great place to learn. At ARU we offer wellbeing workshops throughout the year to help you understand how to manage your thoughts and feelings. These workshops can equip the confidence to succeed in your studies and enjoy university life without in a way that supports your wellbeing. The type of workshops we offer include:
  • Art therapy
  • Introduction to mindfulness
  • Combating unhelpful perfectionism
  • Self-esteem and confidence
  • Stress and anxiety management
  • Stress management and mindfulness
  • Person Centred Creative Arts Skills Group
  • Combating negative thinking
  • Managing worry
Read more about i don’t really know how to take care of my personal wellbeing..

Do universities have their own health services?

Many universities either have a medical on campus, but if not there will either be an assigned university medical centre, or you can register with a local GP. During freshers week you will be signposted to the relevant health services and encouraged to register in the are where you are studying. It’s very common to get ‘freshers flu’ during your first few weeks of university, so you may be grateful to be signed up to the doctors nearby. Your university health centre should also have good links with local specialists. Such as psychiatrists, sports physicians, psychotherapists, counsellors and physiotherapists.
Read more about do universities have their own health services?.

Will my university offer disability support?

Absolutely. Your university should always provide information, advice and specialist support to students with disabilities, ongoing medical conditions and specific learning difficulties. The ARU Disability and Dyslexia Advisers will always offer individual, friendly and supportive consultations to discuss your support needs. Our students can attend our every day drop-in service where you can come and discuss anything in confidence without booking an appointment. The ARU team can provide a wide range of support, including ensuring you have the correct equipment, access to facilities, applications for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) and exam or timetable adjustments. For more information about the support you can receive, along with our contact details, visit our Disability and Dyslexia Support page.
Read more about will my university offer disability support?.